Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 5 – Rounding Cape York

We are still at sea, zooming along at 30kph. The wonders of the world are still in front of me so I will regale with some more of shipboard life.

The on deck movie, “Sherlock Holmes”, was excellent last night fed with a bottomless bucket of popcorn, free of course. At elevenish the Windjammers Nightclub opened promising a nightcap martini that would lull me into a good nights rest. I chose the James Bond Classic with some bell pepper stuffed olives. Some three hours and more than one martini later, I was almost the last man standing (they had walking frames) so I bid a goodnight to all and retired to my suite.

Now to the typical fare for a day onboard

Breakfast - Full ala Carte served on deck five
I started with fresh oats and prunes whilst waiting for the Eggs Benedict to be prepared. My selected Irish breakfast tea quietly aged in a nearby silver teapot. I resisted the warm morning pastries respecting my self imposed strict health regime that I intend to commence soon.  A more casual version of breakfast is also served buffet style with self-serve versions of much of the formal menu, seating on deck 14.

Morning Tea – I resisted the fresh sponge tartlets and gateaux served at ten each morning and stayed with my fresh apple. (you have to keep the eating under control)

Lunch – Deck 6 – Full ala Carte.
Fresh prawn cocktails with lemon myrtle dressing, complimented with lemon scented salmon fillet in a cabernet and fig essence. I could not resist the Drambuie Soufflé in pear sauce paired with a light grandfather port.
(Hamburgers, chips and pizza are available 24hrs a day at the Balcony Grill on deck for the less formally attired)

Afternoon Tea – Deck 5 Atrium
The violins have started wailing in the orchestra pit as high tea is wheeled out on ancient silver trolleys in the seven floor grand atrium of the ship. Despite the profligate offering I kept to the cucumber and French orange sandwiches with a cinnamon and lime tea. I must admit that I felt a bit self-conscious in my board shorts and best old T-shirt. Looking around at the many colours and heights of permed hair I felt an overwhelming urge to reach for some hair gel but as I had not shaved today, more would be needed to reach any acceptable level of grooming. With a few sandwiches in hand I retreated to the pool deck.

Dinner – Florentine Dining Room – Fine Dining
Blue crab cakes in Panko coating with Romesco sauce started the night. Chilled Yoghurt and Tamarind Soup led me to the main course that was a modest Steamed Butterfish in roasted garlic sauce garnished with Honey Tiger Prawns.

I settled on a small serving of Cream Cheese and Butterscotch Gateau with Marsala Sabayon.

The pattern of food delivery is similar every day just the titles change. I appreciate that this is an attraction of cruising but I have seen some eye brow raising eating habits already manifesting such as the woman who eats two bratwurst for lunch and puts three in her handbag, I assume as a snack between lunch and afternoon tea.  This afternoon I am going to investigate the opening hours of the gym, just in case my eating gets out of control

1 comment:

  1. Make sure you know where the gym is! I'll let you know if the photos start needing panoramic view!!!!.

    ReplyDelete