Saturday, October 13, 2012

HOME, not Bay of Islands

Fate moves in mysterious ways, as do older people with walking frames and bi-focals, and it struck off the coast of Auckland. We left the Sydneyesque harbour of Auckland late at night and headed for the Bay of Islands. It was supper time so we all headed for the restaurant to get that piece of lime pie we had been ogling, and resisting, all day. 

Sitting on deck, pie and red wine in hand watching the brightly lit southern sky, the ship began to turn to port in a sweeping u-turn. The ships grapevine swept into action within minutes claiming that several passengers had been left on the Auckland dock and we had to go back. The second version was that an overly abusive passenger was being put ashore so we had to go back. So far, three passengers have been put ashore for bad behaviour and two crew are being put ashore in Sydney for innappropriate liaisons with passengers.

I worried more about the second version as more than half the ships passengers would have to put off if abusive behaviour was the measure. I decided to stay away from my suite in case there were any messages for me from the Captain!

About 30 minutes later the Captain did an all stations broadcast which was unusual given the time of night. He announced that a large storm was inbound from the south and we had turned about to head straight for Sydney.

24/7 coffee and tea on open Deck 14
Three sighs could be heard across the ship. The first, a sigh of relief, was from the many passengers who were busy creating defence statements for their abusive on-board behaviours. The second, a sigh of disappointment, was from those realising that we were to miss the Bay of Islands. The third was a slap in the face of reality rather than sunning ourselves on the beaches of New Zealand we now had to begin the packing process. I had to let out three long sighs.

The mood of the ship turned sombre almost immediately. Hoots and cries went up everywhere  about compensation, not enough bags, last party arrangements, tips for the crew. It was on for young and old, the latter being the noisiest.

It all happened in a semi synchronised fashion. The ships shops began to sell discounted suitcases, vacuum storage bags and trinkets from long forgotten ports of call. We could buy that last minute watch at an extra 10% off for today only. Alcohol was 50% off with the warning of two bottles only into Sydney. Cigarettes were a whopping 70% off by the carton. This was naughty of the ship as new Customs restrictions state that you can only bring in 50 cigarettes (two packs) or pay duty on ALL items including alcohol, if caught. They still sold out in a few hours and the purchases were delivered to cabins after being recorded so Customs in Sydney will have a profitable morning......

There is a custom on ships of tipping with cash at the end of a cruise. Many ships also take an automatic $15 per cruising day from your credit card as a "whole of ship" tip. Princess abandoned this practice only last year, for Australian cruises only, in response to the outcry by Australian passengers. The automatic tipping may be gone on Australian cruises but the crew are not Australian and expect to be tipped so it is a sensitive and delicate situation to work through. I established a practice of slipping a few dollars every few weeks to my cabin valet and waiter. I also left a few mid cruise tips for others that had delivered exceptional service. This ensured a reasonable level of service throughout the cruise. On our last night I will not be putting cash into the now very visible white envelopes appearing all over the ship.

Entering Sydney Harbour 0630
Sydney Harbour is appearing out of the morning mist and there is a tear in my eye. Australia is the luckiest country and I am happy to be home. I will pay the car rego, pat the cat and my mum and start planning the next high seas adventure which is SOUTH AMERICA in a year or so.  


What more to tell?

Last minute directions from the Film Director of Masterchef
Our table set for filming
BIG GOSSIP LEAK..... Masterchef came onboard in New Zealand, with all their chefs, to film an episode cooking for the elite passengers. I was invited of course. The photo is taken by me dining with the Services Director, Angus, in camera for the episode. The lady talking to us is the director. 



Final notes...
 
I did not write for you as well as I have previously. I hope that I still gave an engaging overview of my adventures. I was consumed by the amazing voyage itself. I have all the prices I paid and itineraries best followed in the places I have visited. I have views on ships tours versus independent arrangements. If I can add any value to your own plans for cruising I am happy to share thoughts with you. Leave a comment and an email address and I will reply.

Thank you all for your kind emails and encouraging comments. Bon Voyage!



No comments:

Post a Comment