Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Darwin

For the sake of continuity I include this comment on Darwin. I wrote about it in May 2010 (see my blog archive) and it has not changed!

Having been on the ship for five days, the passengers rushed three main Darwin stores, Coles, Liquorland and Dick Smith. Coles for those little things that had been forgotten like cotton buds and personal hygiene essentials, Liquorland to top up the Listerine bottles with any brown coloured alcohol and Dick Smith for travel adapters and mobile phone chargers.

I did have a personal encounter that did not endear me to Darwin. As I was walking through the mall, two large snakes slithered by between peoples feet and no-one was alarmed or concerned, except me. A local shop keeper, amused at look of horror etched across my face, told me that all the snakes moved early in the morning to their preferred day time sleeping rock and returned to the mall each night to eat the mice and rats !!

I was thereafter alert for any other nomadic snakes, marauding kangaroos or wandering wombats. We live in a dangerous country......  I topped up the Listerine bottle (took an immediate swig or two), bought some more rechargeable batteries and headed back to the safety of the ship.  Bring on Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment